Formed deep beneath Earth’s surface during the Precambrian Eon, the mention of diamonds has been found in Sanskrit texts since the fourth century B.C.
Originally discovered in riverbeds in India, as more and more diamonds were found, they were brought to Western Europe and sold to royalty and members of the upper class.
Diamonds were named after the Greek word “adamas,” which means indestructible or unconquerable. In Greek and Roman legends, a young man named Adamas was turned into a gemstone that had the power to strengthen marriages and banish ghosts, among other abilities. Synonymous with “adamas,” diamonds were believed to have sacred powers as well and were worn uncut for thousands of years. An early example of diamond jewelry, a Hungarian queen’s crown was set with uncut diamonds around 1074.
Many ancient cultures believed diamonds held the power of protection and strength, adorning their kings’ armor with the stones. Throughout the Middle Ages, diamonds were thought to have healing powers as well, able to cure a range of aches and illnesses.
Diamond cutting began in Venice during the 1300s and in 1477 the first recorded diamond engagement ring was given to Mary of Burgundy by Archduke Maximilian of Austria. The diamonds were cut flat and arranged in the shape of the letter “M.”
It was not until 1947, when De Beers launched a campaign stating “A Diamond is Forever” that diamonds became synonymous with engagement rings.
Visit Garner’s Jewelry at 23940 Eureka Road in Taylor, Michigan to view our large selection of diamond jewelry.